Saturday, January 17, 2009

EDC, My Love

This is my first post that gets personal and doesn't have to do anything with open innovation or business. It has to do with the stuff i love, so nothing else matters anyway. I have many reasons to love the Entrepreneurship Development Cell (EDC), IIT Roorkee which we started when i was in my 1st year, with people from all 4 years of B.Tech. whom i didn't know much at that time, but whom i'll remember all my life. It was started with a vision and is going great while I am in my 4th yr and serving as the Addl. Secy. right now. Some of my reasons for why we do the stuff we do, would be:

# I believe in entrepreneurship. It's not important to be in EDC for pursuing it, nor is it mandatory for everybody in EDC to have such an inclination, but while being here, i have been a part of the group which discusses the stuff i love and i can contribute to it. I gain a lot of knowledge from you guys, things which i wouldn't have known if some of you had not discussed in group meetings. Entrepreneurship societies like NEN, magazines like DARE i came to know from fellow edc members. I feel i am at the center of the world that i want to understand better.

# While we were a team of 8 when EDC just started off in Feb'06, it was an opportunity for me to face some difficult situations. I used to think that other sections have been there for many years and i would be just another member if i join and could pass my 4 yrs taking chaapos, but here in EDC i had the chance of doing stuff and proving myself. I wanted to have the pride of creating something, and i had the chance to give shape and decide for the group we started, which really gives a kick. Not to denounce but I don't think any other group has even a fraction of the potential which EDC holds, though a lot needs to be done. Look at the entrepreneurship culture at Stanford, MIT etc. The campus will be a totally different place if we had one company growing in every wing of our hostels. This idea never ceases to amaze me.

# Anything you do in future, some kind of management is required. Most of the stuff we do is basically event management. In 1st and 2nd yr, i wanted to organise events and learn, though the urge has subsided a bit, but i have had some exposure which is necessary for anyone to succeed in life. Go to Program Mgmt. and you'll appreciate that EDC gives 100 times better exposure. Actually, EDC provides a mix of anything you may like in other groups. Like in Cogni and Thomso, you can concentrate on sponsorships if you like big money, organise events etc. EDC has a newsletter and website as well which have lately defined a new level of their own.

# Most importantly, i can know more smart people than i wud know if i weren't here. I get to meet with people who work 16 hrs a day when i get a chance to receive them at stations, take them for lunch etc. (though it's double pleasure when we get to have dinner with Anjali or Amar). I respect these people who build products and companies, who are driven, passionate about their ideas and work untiringly to achieve their aim. I feel honored to meet such people who want to change the world (though not all our guests are so great, but some of them are!!)


But what do we do??

1. We introduce Deferred Placement Program which is a back-up for people taking the risk of not taking a job, to start their venture.
2. We organise Mentor Clinics where some people get a lead to what they should do next, get advice as to how they can improve their product offering.
3. We organise Bplan competition which by luring some people through prize money makes them interested in starting a venture.
4. We create awareness. Even if people don't come to our events regularly and don't want to start a venture now, some of them will start 4-5 years from now, after getting bored with their regular life.
5. We make a community, EnClub, of aspiring entrepreneurs, who don't want to discuss their ideas with other people who laugh them away. They get encouraged by discussing their ideas, getting approval and appreciation from others.

To know more about EDC, visit www.edciitr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment